If you are a teacher in Kenya and you need highest chances of being employed permanently by TSC or by a BOARD of secondary schools ,then definitely you need to choose a marketable subject combination that you will specialize in as you prepare to undertake the teaching course.
This is achieved through a well researched process on the type of teaching vacancies the employer -TSC and the Board of Managements of schools have difficulties to find teachers to fill in.
There are many subjects that are having shortages of teachers according to the recent data of teachers recruitment process from TSC and the Kenya Secondary schools Associations.
These subjects include the following:
- Computer studies
- Art and Design
- Home Science
- Drawing and Design
- Mechanics and Electricity
- English language
- Foreign language, German and French
For Bachelor of Education science there are the following subjects combinations that are available for choose .
These subject combination are offered in most of universities in Kenya like University of Nairobi, Kenyatta University, Mount Kenya university, Maseno university, University of Eldoret and many more.
- Chemistry and Biology
- chemistry and physics
- chemistry and mathematics
- Biology and Geography
- Biology and Home Science
- Physics and Mathematics
- Agriculture and Home science
- Computer studies and Business
- Agriculture and Geography
- Biology and Agriculture
- Physics and Computer Studies
For Bachelor of Education Arts, these are combinations that a teacher may opt to choose to take in university. universities that like Moi University, Egerton University, Kisii university and many more.
- Geography and Business
- Kiswahili and Geography
- IRE and Geography
- CRE and Kiswahili
- Kiswahili and History
- Geography and History
- Geography and CRE
- IRE and Arabic
- Mathematics and Business studies
- Mathematics and Geography
- History and CRE
- Kiswahili and IRE
A student who chooses to undertake a Bachelor of education science course in any public or private university in Kenya MUST have meet the following minimum requirements outlined below. The top most popular universities that offer.
Bachelors of education science courses include University of Nairobi, Kenyatta University, Moi university, Maseno university etc.
- MUST have a mean grade of C(plus) in KCSE a minimum grade of C(plus) in Mathematics and a C(plus) in either Physics or Chemistry or Geography or Biology.
- He or She may also have a B(minus) in biological sciences or physical sciences.